Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Morning Visitor

After the encounter with the raccoons, we decided to feed the cats on the front porch and bring it in every evening. This being my responsibility, I forget to do this more often than I remember. One morning I was going to set the trash out on the front porch to take out to the garbage can when I found a pink nosed visitor eating from the cat dish that I had forgotten to bring in from the night before. It blinked up at me and wiggled it’s pink little nose and went right back to eating. No, it wasn’t Ty, Rumor or Scandle. The bare pink tail was the giveaway. A young opossum decided to come up for a snack.

I stood there at the door watching for a little while until he became a little more self conscious and wandered away. It was then that I noticed Rumor lying on the railing about three feet above the young food thief.

“What good are you?” I asked him expecting no answer and getting only a yawn in return. I closed the door and went back inside being somewhat thankful that the cats aren’t trying to fight with the wildlife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Wilderness!! It seems that these little theives are everywhere. They are all over Frankenmuth too. A opossum got into Randy and Cindy Hegenauers garage the day before Thanksgiving... You got it... back-up storage area for Thanksgiving. A Few of them had their FEAST before the humans did. Mostly baked goods, so not devastating in the long run - emotional in the short run! We have been light on the creatures this winter. Must be staying closer to the River