Thursday, February 16, 2006

Google, Google, Google...

I’ve found a new service, at least it’s somewhat new to me, that is pretty cool for anyone that does the same kind of search on the Internet often. It's called Google Alerts from Google News. (I had to mention it, just in case the picture didn't give it away...)

I happened to be on
google a few months ago researching something that I had heard on NPR while driving to work. (Yes, I said NPR… I used to think it was just of old people… Now I know that I’m getting old for sure…)

A news blurb was talking about Biodiesel and how it’s an easy to produce renewable fuel source. This peaked my interest, even though I do not have a Diesel power vehicle. I did a search on Google and received a notice that I could have this type of news search e-mail to me on a regular basis. Curious, I set up the mail information and proptly forgot about it.

The next day, in my inbox was a message labeled (Google Alert - "biodiesel") I opened the message and found a link to an article that mentioned biodiesel with a brief description.I thought this was a pretty cool service so I tried out a search in it on people. Being a Billy Joel fan for more than half my life I set it up to e-mail me with Billy Joel hits. I now receive messages a couple times throughout the week on what Billy’s been up to. Concert dates, interviews, whatever they felt like writing about.

The easiest way to use it is to perform the search you wish to receive a Google Alert for and scroll to the bottom of the listing. You will find a link for:

(New! Get the latest news on (your search here) with Google Alerts)

Anyway, I thought I’d share this all with you. Hopefully it hasn’t ‘bored you to tears. I think it’s a great service for topics that you find interesting or what I really like to use it for is to keep tabs on companies that I’m interested in from an investment standpoint
.

No comments: