Thursday, February 23, 2006

Customer Service…

I’ve noticed over the past several years that customer service has been going downhill among many different industries at about the same rate. At first I thought it was because I moved out to New York and by stereotype people are less friendly out here… Speaking from experience, this is partly true. I have met numerous friendly people, but when it comes to customer service with businesses, it stinks…

I started out my working life in a restaurant. My eight years of working there was always involved in the customer service realm. I started out greeting the guests when they came in, and then moved on to serving their meals. In order to make pretty good money, you had to be pretty good at Customer Service. It just makes sense… If the people like you, most would feel guilty NOT leaving you a good tip. This wasn’t a sure thing, but it all averages out at the end of the night.

Recently we have been having a string of bad luck at numerous restaurants with poor service. Servers not being attentive, chatting in the back and bringing out cold food… The list goes on. What ever happened to customer service?

Feel free to share your experiences as well. I'm curious about the break-down in customer service.

No comments: