Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Parenting 101: Listening


Could this be any more true?

Why, as parents, do we have to repeat ourselves over, and over, and over again?

They say that as a child learns its the repetition of things that gets them to learn. Then why do I have repeat the same thing day in and day out again and again?!?!?!

But they are adorable, for the most part... One minute you will want to hang them from the chandelier by their toes, (my daughter would have a blast with this...) the next they give you a big hug and say they love you... It works every damn time too!!!

Sometimes I still wish I had gotten the order that I asked for when signing up for kids. I asked for a pause button, power button and mute button. I didn't think it was too much to ask for. Wouldn't you know it? We ended up getting the stock models that pee on you when you least expect it.

Maybe God will grant the order on this next one... I won't hold my breath.

Of course, with all this said, it's all just a joke. No matter what, we love our kids and nothing can change that. I seem to recall not listening all that much as a kid too, hence why I can relate to the calvin comics so much. It's easy to lose sight of that when you are in the moment and at your whits end. But I wouldn't trade fatherhood for anything in the world. I have two great kids, with the third on the way... (confirmed to be a boy!)

Just remember all the cliche remarks you heard as a kid... "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt..."

Have a great day!

More Parenting 101!
Parenting 101: Quick List

No comments: