Monday, March 06, 2006

Parenting 101: Dinner table manners

We've been teaching Jonah, and now Brielle, manners at the dinner table. For the most part Jonah is doing very well. An occasional reminder to keep his mouth closed while chewing is about the extent of it.

Which brings me to the subject of manners while eating. I do not profess to be the ultimate in manners... But, I have an office-mate that apparently was never taught to chew with his mouth closed. Or, for that matter, drink quietly!

My God! First off in the morning I hear the loud slurping of coffee followed by the smacking of lips. (cringe)

Then if I'm unlucky enough to have him bringing his lunch back from a near-by restaurant I get to listen to the masticating of every morsel.

I swear it sounds like a washing machine when you leave the top open as it starts it's agitation cycle. It drives me up the wall! I thank heavens that Jonah has better eating manners than this 29 year-old.

If I have the misfortune of turning to talk to him while he's eating it's quite a show... I'm reminded of my friend Buck back in college when he had an Iguana. Bucks manners were fine. Stimpy, that's the Iguana, would devour his broccoli with his mouth wide open. Kind of creepy to look at, but the poor lizard doesn't have any lips! So I can't blame him for his table manners.

I almost feel sorry for my office mate. He's the joke of the entire office. Everyone is always chuckling as he leaves to pick up his lunch before the big show. They can at least walk past and watch, much like feeding time at the zoo. But my desk is 5 feet from him...

Oh no... Here he comes with Chinese food. Oh God... and Soup! Serenity Now!!!!!!! (Slurp)


More Parenting 101!
Parenting 101: Quick List

No comments: