Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Parenting 101: Shopping

Shopping with children should be considered cruel and unusual... for the parents.

I remember when I was young and wanting to go shopping with my Mom. Usually I would beg and plead for some kind of trinket, or a pack of baseball cards. That's the only part of the shopping experience I really recall. I do recall my Mom telling me that I couldn't come shopping, and now that I have kids of my own, I completely understand why.

It's as if the automatic doors leading into the grocery store transmogrifies your child into a tiny monster that has no concept of self control.

"Mom, I want THAT sugar packed cereal with the guy from my favorite cartoon on the front of it"

"Dad, can I have those popsicles with the super heroes on it?"

Then the daughter gets into the mix... Instead of sitting in the cart seat, she wants to walk. Unfortunately this means that she tries to run away from me at every possible opportunity. And she thinks it's funny...

It IS kind of cute, but not when you are dodging other shoppers trying to grab the screaming 2-year-old.

Maybe the next phase of shopping centers will have a setup like McDonalds and Burger King have developed with the huge indoor playground with hamster tubes to crawl through and balls to jump into. This could be supervised by one parent while the other can leisurely pick out the correct groceries.

This could make the shopping experience a bit more enjoyable for the parents as well.

The alternative, which we recently received coupons in the mail for, is having the groceries delivered to our door. For about $6 we can have everything we would normally shop for brought right to our door at a time we specify. We may test this sometime soon. My only concern is the quality. I don't get to choose which tomatoes that I think look good or how fresh the asparagus looks. We'll see...

Until then we will continue the battle of grocery shopping.

No comments: