Friday, May 26, 2006

Parenting 101: Summer Vacations

It's almost Summer time...

Soon the kids will be home all day and people will get to take vacations. I'm not sure if we'll be doing much traveling with the little one coming in the end of June, but other people will be traveling.

I recall the days of being trapped in the back of my parents Caprice Classic as we drove to Northern Michigan or across the border into Canada on one trip or another. My father was a Real Estate Appraiser how would take jobs with the State of Michigan to value property for road expansion projects. A number of summers took us to different parts of Michigan while my Dad checked out buildings and vacant land stretching along endless highways.

On several occasions my Mom would come along, on a few it was just he and I on these trips. I have some very good memories about these moments in time. When I was older, around 17, my Dad took me up to the upper peninsula of Michigan to Marquette and several of the outlying towns.

There is a part in Marquette where there are walking and biking paths. We went out to one of these points and found an area to walk out on. There was a section where you could walk out and look down to see Lake Superior and the caves created by the never ending waves crashing up against the limestone.

I recall scaring the bejesus out of my Dad when I walked out on an outcropping of rock and looked down the side of the cliff. I don't recall if there was a railing or not, but it really surprised my Dad that I did this. In retrospect it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I was 17. That's my excuse.

My memories of traveling when I was younger are a bit more cloudy. I have this feeling that it was a situation not too dissimilar from Calvin on one of his road trips with his parents. This is so true of Jonah and Brielle is starting to follow this path as well.

Enjoy the Calvin and Hobbes!




No comments: