Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Landscaping Corner

Now that it is officially Spring, we have started evaluating the current landscaping and trying to figure out what the hell we have out there.

This weekend we trimmed out the dead stuff from last year and found some nice flowers starting to poke through the layer of leaves left from this past fall. We found a group of 5 Hyacinths and several places, in our yard of all placed, where there are Crocuses growing in small groups.

The strangest part of our investigation came from the yard itself. Our grass is a combination of about 30 different kinds of weeds and I think there might be some patches of grass in there somewhere. The odd part is that we have Chives growing all over our front yard. For those of you that cook, you are familiar with the onion flavored herb used in many cooking dished. For those of you who don't... Well... I guess now you do.

We found that Chives in this area are a lot like Dandelions. They have a top that has seeds on them which apparently spread like a weed. I counted over 20 chive plants in our front yard. I guess the lawn mower will take care of them, but I do have a place where I'll be transferring some of them for our herb garden. I do enjoy adding chives to certain recipes.

I'll also pull the crocuses from the yard and place them in flowerbeds. Who am I to complain about free landscaping flowers?

We had Holly's Mom and Merlin out a few weeks ago. Sandy was able to identify this tropical looking plant that we have planted all over in the back yard. They are a Rhododendron plant. They have these huge flower buds on them that I'm anxious to see what they turn out to look like.

There are several bushes that we will be removing and replacing. We also have a Hasta plant in the front that is very large. I found that I can break it into small plants and place them in shady areas of the yard. That is my plan for part of the entrance around the lower level apartment. We'd like to make it look a lot nicer back there for our future renter.

We are in the analysis phase for landscaping now. I'll put more posts out as we make our changes. We'd like to get more flowers integrated into our design.

Let the FUN Begin!!!

1 comment:

starbender said...

Oh, I luv the purple Crocuses!
They are beautiful. Spring is my favorite time of year, okay, next 2 summer!
;]