Thursday, June 08, 2006

4 Years Ago Today...

Today, Holly and I celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. Looking at that number 4 makes it seem like it wasn't that long ago at all that we took our stroll down the aisle back in Frankenmuth Michigan with all our friends and family in attendance. It feels like we have known each other forever. Which, I guess, is what marriage and family as all about. Well at least a part of it at least...

A lot has happened in our lives since we were married. The day after our wedding we spent part of the day watching the Bavarian Festival Parade which fills my old home town with tourists of all ages. Consumption of much beer and Bratwurst is a prerequisite for this event. The next day we left for our Honeymoon in South Beach, Miami. Our initial plan was to stay in South Beach for a few days then drive down to the Key's. This didn't really go as planned.

We planned our trip at the same time as Monsoon Season, not on purpose. Not exactly the best time in terms of weather, but we were Newly Wed's... We had a Suite overlooking the ocean. That's about all we really needed for the duration.

There were several days where it was nicer and we were able to venture out without being drowned. There was one particular morning where I decided to walk to the nearest Dunkin Donuts. We had driven past a number of times and it didn't seem all that far. It wasn't that far by car. By foot it was a bit further in time. It turned out to be a mile away. About halfway there it started to rain. Of course I had no umbrella, which is probably just as well because the wind would have blown it apart in no time. My cellular phone was left charging in the room. It was one of my more brainy days...

I made it to Dunkin Donuts, ordered our food and asked for extra bags to bag everything up in for the walk back. This time I was walking into the wind. Now this wasn't as terrible as you would think. The rain was very warm. It actually felt like I was walking in the shower, it was that warm. I kept watching for Holly to pull up in the Convertible we had rented and pick me up out of the rain. She never showed up, but I made it all the way back to the Eden Roc after being gone for 2 hours.

Walking through the lobby was a real treat. My clothes were completely saturated. What was interesting is that the wind had dried my back off while I was walking into the wind. The rain was hitting only the front of me on my walk back. I received some rather peculiar looks as I left sandal shaped water puddles on the marble clad floor.

Upon arriving to the suite, I found Holly on the bed lost in a television show. She looked at me and started to laugh asking what happened to me. Apparently she had no idea that it had been a down-pour outside... I glanced at the wall of windows and watched as the rain ran down in a sheet.

A puddle grew at my feet as I stood there dripping with the bags of Dunkin Donuts treats. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... Here you go.

Looking back, the walk itself was not all that bad. It's a memory I will carry with me for the rest of my life which will always make me smile.

We had a great time on our Honeymoon, rain storms not with standing...

So far I hadn't posted wedding details and honeymoon details. Some of the details of the last four years together are chronicled in the Moving blog entries which can be found below:

The Move (Packing)
The Move (communications) sidebar
The Move (on the road)
The Move (the rest of the way...)
The Move (the morning after)

Holly has been the best wife I could ever ask for. She has brought Jonah, Brielle and the new addition (6/23/06) into my life which has brought me much joy. I Love them all dearly.

Happy Anniversary Babe!

I Love you,

Matt

1 comment:

Will said...

What the hell? No shout out to the guy who made all this wedded bliss happen? No props to the dude whom without his quick match-making aplomb you two would still be floundering in the single-lives I found you in??? Sheesh...

Seriously, congrats on the 4 years. I'm as happy for your both as I have ever been. I think of your wedding and do this day it still brings a smile to my face.

Love to all..

Will